Alice in Chains Albums
Since their first days performing, Alice in Chains have released 6 studio albums, 3 EPs, 3 Live albums, 4 compilations, 2 DVDs, 43 music videos, and 32 singles. So there’s a lot to talk about with their music. So instead we’ll focus on their full length studio album efforts.
- Facelift is the band’s debut album that was released on August 21, 1990. The album featured the single “Man in the Box” which was nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Hard Rock Performance with Vocal in 1992. It also became the first album from the Grunge Movement to be certified gold on September 11, 1991. The album peaked at #42 on the Billboard 200.
- Dirt, the band’s second album, was released on September 29, 1992. It found fast success peaking at #6 on the Billboard 200 chart. It has also gone on to be certified fourt-imes platinum by the RIAA and sold over 5 million copies worldwide. It was also the last album recorded with all four of the original members.
- Alice in Chains (sometimes referred to as The Dog Album) was the band’s 3rd album. IT was released on November 7, 1995. This album was also the first one to feature bassist Mike Inez and the last to feature Layne Staley. The album debuted at #1 on the Billboard 200 and stayed on the chart for 46 weeks.
- Black Gives Way to Blue was released on September 29, 2009 on the 17th anniversary of the release of Dirt. It is the first album featuring William DuVall as lead vocalist alongside Jerry Cantrell. The title track is a tribute to Staley featuring Elton John on piano. It debuted at #5 on the Billboard 200 and was certified gold by the RIAA on May 26, 2010.
- The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here was then released on May 28, 2013. It is the band’s second reunion album that followed a worldwide tour in support of it. The album peaked at #2 on the Billboard 200 and #1 on the Top Rock Albums chart.
- Finally, Rainier Fog was released on August 24, 2018. The title was inspired by Mount Rainier, a volcano that overlooks the Seattle-Tacoma metropolitan area and the title track is a tribute to the seattle music scene. The album debuted at #12 on the Billboard 200 chart and #1 on the Billboard Top Rock Albums, Alternative Albums, and Hard Rock Albums charts. And it became the band’s first appearance in the UK top 10 peaking at #9.